The European Research Cluster to Understand the Health Impacts of Micro- and Nanoplastic (CUSP) is organizing a series of online thematic workshops in the spring of 2023 under the heading Human Risk assessment of Micro- and Nanoplastics (MNPs). The first workshop will be on Tuesday 7th February and will focus on regulatory insights and knowledge gaps.
- 9:00 Welcome and introduction to the CUSP. Jane Muncke (AURORA) Steffen Foss Hansen (PlasticHeal)
I. POLICY UPDATES
- 9:10 EU Regulation on micro and nanoplastics: present action, plans and needs. Valentina Bertato, Andrej Kobe. DG Environment, European Commission
- 9:30 The European Environment Agency (EEA): Informing (plastic) policy through science. Tobias Nielsen, EEA
- 9:50 Summary and reflections
- 10:00 Q&A and discussion
- 10:30 Coffee break
II. UPDATE ON RISK ASSESSMENT
- 10:45 European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)’s ongoing and planned activities in the application of New Approach Methodologies for the risk assessment of chemical substances including those at nanoscale. Maria Chiara Astuto, Irene Cattaneo and Antoine Keng Djien Liem, EFSA.
- 11:15 Human exposure to nano- and microplastic particles and implications to human health. Todd Gouin, TG Environmental Research
- 11:35 Summary and reflections
- 12:00 Lunch
III. LOOKING ABROAD AND WITHIN
- 12:30 Overview of CUSP activities
- 13:30 Q&A and wrap-up